Registration & Qualified Procedure
The following forms are needed to register OR renew your registration.
If this is your FIRST time applying to register you need the Registration Application (1).
There is no longer a requirement for a Police check with the NZSDT. ALL employers have a legal obligation to check those working voluntary or employed.
If you need wish to RENEW your registration use form 2. (items 3 & 4 are to assist you)
(You should also have reminder from the Registrar)
1. Registration Form
Use this form if you are applying for the first time to become a registered DT
2. Registration Renewal and Points
This is the points based form
3. Record of Meeting
This is the RSG meeting log
Informative guide to completing the Renewal Application
Why become Registered?
This is as question we are often asked and the simple answer to this is: –
REGISTRATION PROVES COMPETENCY
As more members become registered, there has been a greater recognition of our professionalism and competency in the workplace. More often we are being asked for our practicing certificate. It brings us closer to getting recognized as health professionals such as Occupational Therapists and Physiotherapists, rather than the people who provide activities.
When you become a Registered Diversional Therapist you will have to prove that:
- You have gained the NZQA Level 4 Qualification in Diversional Therapy.
- You work within the Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice of the NZ Society of Diversional Therapists.
- You have completed a minimum of 3000 hours working in the field of Diversional Therapy.
- You have been a member of the Society for a minimum of one year.
- An appointed Registered Diversional Therapist has completed a site visit at your place of employment.
You will also have to prove your competency to your supervisor or manager to get a reference from them. All this proof is then sent to the Registration Board who will look at it to make sure that you reach the standards expected of a Registered Diversional Therapist.
To retain registration you MUST renew every two years proving that you are: –
- Continuing to practice to an acceptable level.
- Continuing to access ongoing education, particularly in the field of Diversional Therapy. That you attend local support groups and/or conferences to improve the value of the service you give to your clients.
- Prepared to help in the teaching/supervising of new Recreational Therapy staff.
- Participate in new initiatives in your workplace, on a local level or on a national level.
This might seem like a lot of hard work but it is proof to your Manager or a prospective employer that you are a valuable asset to your workplace.
It is one thing to say that you have worked in the field for the last 10, 15, or 20 years, it is quite another to be able to say that you are a Registered Diversional Therapist and have the certificate to prove it.
Procedure Step One – Applying
Candidates applying to the Registrar of the NZSDT Inc. for Registration and the Registered Badge must submit the following:
Please note an extra site fee will be charged by your assessor.
1. Candidate to download the application forms from the NZSDT Inc. website.
2. Fee $65 (made up of a non-refundable $50 Registration Fee & $15 Administration Fee)
3. Payment to NZSDT Inc. via direct credit. 03 1559 0022619 00 (please use name for reference).
4. A certified copy of the NZQA National Certificate in Diversional Therapy, or an official certified Education Provider printout. To be signed as sighted by current Employer.
5. A letter dated within one month from current and / or last Employer stating hands on Diversional Therapy employment of not less than 3000 hours with a minimum of three years as a Diversional Therapist.
6. Candidates who change Employers after completion of the National Certificate of Diversional Therapy and before assessment for Registration and Registered Badge must have been employed with current employer for no less than 400 hours before applying for Registration.
7. A site fee of NZD40.00 is payable to your assessor on the day of assessment.
Procedure Step Two
The Registrar will then check and arrange:
1. Receipt of application will be sent to the candidate
2. Check that Candidate has been a Member of the NZSDT Inc. for one full consecutive year (based on anniversary Date of joining) & holds current Membership with the Society
3. Registered Diversional Therapist assessor well be appointed at the discretion of the Registrar for the final site visit. (see above site fee)
Please do not arrange your own Assessor.
4. All appropriate documentation to support the Candidate’s application will be checked and send to the Registration Board.
5. Notification to candidate of Registration Boards decision.
On attainment of Registration and Registered Badge: The NZSDT Inc. will present a Congratulations Certificate to successful Registration Candidates at the Annual Conference.